Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Sunday 2 December 2007

If Only I'd Known...

About 15 years ago I got done for speeding. (I've been done twice since then too, but that's irrelevant here).

I was doing 45 mph. In Scotland, as it happens. I didn't know that the speed limit was 30. In fact, I didn't have a clue what the limit was.

Ignorance of the law is no defence, except in the eyes of Wendy Alexander. She doesn't seem too bothered that a £950 donation to her leadership campaign from a supporter based outside the UK broke the law, and certainly doesn't see it even as a resigning issue. "I am confident when all the facts are known I will be exonerated of any intentional wrongdoing", she's reported as saying. In other words, breaking the law's fine, as long as you didn't mean to do it. I wish I'd known that before I took my £60 fine and three points penalty on the chin.

And politicians wonder why the public has no respect for them.

No comments: