Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Monday 4 February 2008

Please, No....

So the Conservatives want to make it easier for children to play out; fewer "No ball games" signs, more safety, a greater visbility in policing.

All very laudable, except for one thing. They want to bring back the park warden.

Please, give my kids anything except the park warden. I remember from my own childhood that park wardens were the most Stalinist, restrictive and miserable sods a youngster could fear to meet. There was no childhood pleasure they could not forbid. I still remember the fury I felt when I was prevented from playing football in my local park because it had been raining. Something to do with protecting the grass, apparently.

Presumably David Cameron never had to worry about park wardens because his back garden was big enough to be a park in its own right. Please can someone tell him that wardens and fun just do not mix.

No comments: