Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Tuesday 2 September 2008

Struck Out By a Humourist

Lovely little incident in the street today. I was on my way back from the centre of town at lunchtime (in the area where we're advised not to walk). I noticed an older bloke walking towards me - or lumbering, more like, as if he'd just come out of the pub. There was something about him that led me to think he'd say something to me, but I wasn't remotely concerned. When he was still a few yards away he did indeed start a conversation (very coherently, I should add) and this is how it went.

Bloke: Excuse me, do you smoke ?

Me: No, mate.

Bloke: Well, just say you did. If you only had one match, and had a cigarette and a pipe, which would you light first ?

Me: The pipe [on the basis that it would be easier to light the cigarette from the pipe rather than the other way round, although actually I've no idea if that's true].

Bloke: [walking away, as we've reached each other by now] No, the match.

I called out "Hey, good one" to him and he chuckled back over his shoulder.

Why can't every city centre encounter be like that ?

No comments: