Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Tuesday 19 May 2009

One Down, 645 To Go

It looks as if Michael Martin has finally got the message; I wonder who gave it to him. Whilst there seems some doubt about the exact timing, he will stand down before the next General Election.

I can't say I'm sorry. I hate to see anyone lose their job but he lost any lingering respect I had in him (and I've been more patient than most) through his reaction to the expenses fiasco. He'd clearly lost the plot last week when he had a go at Kate Hoey, and his statement to the House yesterday was lamentable; no evidence of clear thinking about the way ahead, no roadmap, no obvious vision. He is not the man to lead the Commons out of this minefield.

Apparently his resignation means that there'll be a by-election in his Glasgow North East seat; if that's the case I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it being won by a "Clean up politics" independent candidate.

I've been wondering over recent days whether there shouldn't be a General Election anyway. You have to be careful not to over-react at times like this of media fever, but have not our MPs lost, in the public's eyes, their moral authority to govern us ? Is there not now such a generally held contempt for MPs that they should have to put the case before the electorate again, and let us make the call ?

No comments: