Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Monday 21 January 2008

Turned Out Nice Again

Wonble On Tour-land (aka Huddersfield) has been in the news today because of flooding. Some people have been turned out of their homes less than half a mile away from our own burrow because a beck has burst its banks, and life must be utterly miserable for them right now.

We've had a lot of rain this month, and another couple of inches today. I've just been down to look at the River Holme and it's as high and as fast as I've seen it.

I should probably give a rare hat-tip to the BBC tonight. I don't usually have many good things to say about them (and don't ever, ever get me onto the subject of the Licence Fee) but on the drive home from work this evening Radio Leeds was fantastic. They extended their "Drive Time" programme to keep people in the loop. Informative (and accurate, as far as I could tell), helpful and determedly cheerful without being flippant. It was public service broadcasting at it's supposed to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live locally as well and I went down to see the flooded Armitage Bridge with my Dad and it looked very bad!