Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Getting Irate So That You Don't Have To

Wednesday 27 February 2008

"Oxygen Of Publicity" Syndrome Strikes Our Broadcasters

Iain Dale had an interesting slant on the protest on the roof of the Houses of Parliament today. He alleges that both Sky News and the BBC stopped their coverage having received emails from viewers saying that they were "playing into the protesters' hands" by showing pictures.

So, let me get this right. News companies elect not a broadcast a newsworthy protest because they don't want to give the people taking part any publicity.

That's censorship in my book.

I bet Gordon Brown thinks it's fantastic.

2 comments:

nuttycow said...

What I did think was interesting (and Trixy picked it up in her blog) was that there was another protest going on at the same time (which needed publicity) and NO ONE covered it!

Ellee Seymour said...

I think they got good coverage whatever the TV decided, but whether government takes any notice is another matter. I shall check out Trixy's other demo too. The fact is, they have demos at Westminster every day, but making yours stand out and get media coverage is no easy feat.